You may be undermethylated. Most undermethylated persons in the general population tend to be high-achievers and have good mental health. These people tend to be our doctors, lawyers, corporate executives, professional athletes and scientists who strive for high career accomplishment. Undermethylation is also more prevalent in college populations and in affluent neighborhoods.
Many individuals diagnosed with mental illnesses have severe undermethylation which is associated with low serotonin activity. They have a genetic tendency to be very depressed in calcium, magnesium, methionine, and Vitamin B-6 and may have excessive levels of folic acid in nuclei of brain cells. Undermethylated persons benefit from biomedical therapy to directly correct the underlying problem using methionine, calcium, magnesium, amongst others.
Decide for yourself if you fit into this chemical biotype. Here is a list of factors associated with undermethylation –
• obsessive/compulsive tendencies
• history of perfectionism
• seasonal inhalant allergies
• low tolerance for pain
• prior diagnosis of OCD or ODD
• ritualistic behaviors
• very strong willed
• history of competitiveness in sports
• calm demeanor, but high inner tension
• frequent headaches
• family history of high accomplishment
• delusions (thought disorder)
• self-motivated during school years
• poor concentration endurance
• social isolation
• good response to antihistamines
• high fluidity (tears, saliva, etc.)
• good response to SSRI’s
• very high libido
• diagnosis of delusional disorder
Are you planning on having kids?
It is important to know that undermethylated parents are more vulnerable to epigenetic insults that can cause autism. If you suspect a methylation disorder, seek testing and biochemical evaluation at Mensah Medical to uncover your biochemistry.